Skip to main content
Topic: The Official Introduction Thread (Read 806 times) previous topic - next topic

The Official Introduction Thread

So, tell us:

who you are,

perhaps where you are,

and as much else about yourself as you are comfortable us knowing.

Re: The Official Introduction Thread

Reply #1
Name: Brad
Title: Admin and Bottle Washer

My first directory was started back in about 1998.  Most of my directories were in the science fiction/fantasy, horror fiction and espionage fiction niches.

I am not a programmer so I tend to adapt off the shelf software for my websites and directories.

After about a 15 year hiatus in 2018 I came back to the directory world launching:
https://indieseek.xyz/links/
https://nodes.indieseek.xyz/

Indieseek.xyz was launched because IMHO the web has gotten to commercial and personal blogs and websites have gotten shoved aside.  

Reply #2
Helloooo - name is Kicks Condor. My directory is href.cool. Feels so good to be posting on an old school forum again.

Used to think directories were lame - but the problem was that Yahoo! and DMOZ were just too big. (Which meant they got old too fast and had too many levels.) Since the rise of 'awesome' directories, I'm in love with small personal directories.

Brad and Joe have been a big help to me getting started. Still - there's a lot to do: better directory software, better link checkers, better discussion about what can make directories competitive with search... So this should be good.  8)

Reply #3
Hi
My name is Eddie and I live in the forest of dean in England. I have always been interested in directories and have created a number over the years. I am now retired but support my home town of Gloucester and the 4 gates web siote has of course a local directory

Reply #4
Howdy - I'm joe jenett.

My first directory of sorts, coolstop was launched in October, 1997. The archives are still online though I stopped adding new content in August, 2010.

I currently maintain two other directory projects, both of which were originally launched in early 2000 and have been updated daily since then - the dailywebthing linkport has content going back to late 2003 (content prior to that date is no longer online) and dailywebthing daily pointers has content going back to February, 2000. The linkport provides links in a wide array of categories, focusing primarily on resources and tools while the daily pointers focus more on personal sites and blogs. Both projects link primarily to independent, non-commercial sites and, along with 6 other currently active webthings, are syndicated to the i.webthings hub.

Glad to be here!  :) 

Reply #5
Kicks, Ed and Joe,

Welcome!  I'm glad you are here.

I've known Ed the longest,  I hate to say this, but for almost 20 years.  And he was already established with a  large local directory when we first met.  Plus we were Admins on some of the same directory/webmastering/search engine forums.

Kicks and Joe I've met over the last year via Micro.blog.

Kicks I think is a librarian/archivist at heart with a fondness for Web 1.0 days.  He's got coder skills too, because he designed the backend script for his directory https://href.cool/ from scratch plus populated it with a compelling index of links.

Joe has really refined the concept of a linkblog into something that is more a hybrid of a linkblog and a directory, since you can search it using site search or explore using categories.  And he's been finding and adding links every day for 20 years!

Let me know if you guys want to be moderators (global) and if so I'll set it up.  It's hard to predict how much spam we will get.

Also feel free to put a link in your signature to your directories.  I think it's good to inspire new people with ready examples of what we have done and what can be done.

Again welcome.

Reply #6
Hi, my name is chameleon. I run chameleon's wiki which is basically h0p3's wiki (philosopher.life) but about me instead.

I'm into anime and D&D and stuff. I'm a bit of a nerd but I'm quite friendly. I love following kickscondor's site (that's why I'm here) and I love collecting links to sit on top of them like a dragon's hoard. I hope we can be friends.

Reply #7
Hi, my name is chameleon. I run chameleon's wiki which is basically h0p3's wiki (philosopher.life) but about me instead.

I'm into anime and D&D and stuff. I'm a bit of a nerd but I'm quite friendly. I love following kickscondor's site (that's why I'm here) and I love collecting links to sit on top of them like a dragon's hoard. I hope we can be friends.

Welcome chameleon!  D&D and RPG's in general are one of those interest areas where lots of regular folks still make or maintain their own websites on the topic.  So it's great somebody is collecting them.  I'm thinking anime may also be a rich hunting ground for links but I haven't checked.

Wiki's as directories is something we need to explore, so your experience will be of great value.

Reply #8
Hi, I'm Edwin.

I'm a student in the Netherlands. I have bachelor degrees in Philosophy and Artificial Intelligence and am currently working towards a masters (in both, is the idea). Since about 1.5 years I maintain my own (100% static) website. I'm not a web developer at all and do not inspire to be one, but in general I like to hack things together myself and learn on the go. I would say I'm more interested in the ideas behind technology than the actual technology itself. And I like the original idea behind the internet: a precious gem that is currently terminally ill.

The format of my site is constantly undergoing change and I joined the IndieWeb this year. In the meantime, I'm not quite sure anymore how I would describe my site. It is personal but I do not write about personal stuff. It's also not quite a blog, as it doesn't have the topical focus for that. It's somewhere in between. Some part of it resembles a tiny directory and I do share pointers to interesting reads as well.
Kick's Condor described it as "self-organized, almost wiki-like, but still on the Indieweb" and that seems pretty accurate. I'm figuring it out on the go.

I found this forum through Kick's, who in turn found me through Joe Jenett.
This seems to be a good place to develop ideas, with likeminded people that I can learn a lot from.

Reply #9
Hi Edwin and welcome to the forums!

You have a wonderful blogroll.  This is exactly the sort of tiny directory we hope to encourage, so well done.

All of this springs from blogging and the Indieweb and circumventing the silo's of Google and Bing as the gatekeepers to the Web.

So be welcome and join in, it will be good to gain your perspective.

Reply #10
Cool - glad to see chameleon and Edwin here!

I had this comment show up today on a post about directories:
Hi, I am a lurker that came across your site recently and this post and found it incredible uncanny, as I had been discussing this very issue/reality of the web recently. The lack of a meaningful directory to access the vast wonders that the internet possesses. is a travesty. That any curious or thoughtful surfer is relegated to Google algorithms in the best case, and random subjective person links in the more typical case is disappointing. Definitely need a weblibrary (webrary?) - but until then I will enjoy your site and hopefully find others like it--prolly from your links.
I'm going to invite this person to join us here. I keep receiving messages like these or hearing directory chatter about.

Reply #12
Welcome chameleon - I found your wiki recently via Kicks. And good to see you again Edwin - found your site via the webring we're both members of. Here's to linking and discovery!