Skip to main content
Topic: Technorati Nostalgia (Read 116 times) previous topic - next topic

Technorati Nostalgia

This Tweet from Kevin Marks, a former engineer at Technorati is interesting:  https://twitter.com/kevinmarks/status/1207072980376989697?s=20

@Kicks Condor note the reference to Pinboard!

He's right.  Technorati was built for breaking news and breaking posts (in short: the Now) back before Twitter, FB and other social networks.  It was built at a time when weblogs lead reportage of the Now.

Today, Twitter and FB deal with breaking news and commentary and we don't really need Technorati to do that.  What we need is depth.  We need a blog search engine not just for breaking news so much but something that will spider through non-commercial blogs and index all the older posts along with adding new posts, omitting all the commercial garbage that general purpose search engines like Google have to include.  (The tricky thing is you still need an algo of some sort.)

Frankly, Google and Bing could just create a Tab like they do with Videos, Photos, Maps etc. but they appear to have no interest in doing so.

Re: Technorati Nostalgia

Reply #1
I'm not so sure we wouldn't like it. I think that being able to see what's popular on blogs and to try to catalog the Web would encourage more participation. I think even if it were rough at first, it would be interesting to see the effect it could have.

I wonder if he's implying that it wouldn't be as up-to-date "fresh" as Twitter trending and such. Which seems like a good thing to me personally. I don't know how much I'd use a new Technorati. But I would appreciate it taking the pressure off of me to make Fraidycat do those kinds of things.

Re: Technorati Nostalgia

Reply #2
I'd love it.  I think old bloggers would love it.  I'm not sure the younger generations who have grown up with only Google would like it, and I think that group is who he's referring to. 

I still see a utility for an RSS search engine even one that only focuses on more recent posts.  Because even with a RSS feed reader you create your own filter bubble and an RSS search engne helps you find people commenting on a topic outside of one's own filter bubble.