Skip to main content
Topic: What software are you using (Read 797 times) previous topic - next topic

What software are you using

Over the years I have tried several software packages. Surprisingly Hyperseek does not seem to be available. Now I am using Directories Pro. It has all the features I need and I have had no problems with it at all

https://directoriespro.com/

Re: What software are you using

Reply #1
Good question Ed.

I'm using WSN Links as a WP plugin on Indieseek and as a stand alone on Hyperlinks Nodes.  I prefer it in it's stand alone form.

WSN Links.

If I were doing it over again, I would give Directory Pro a good look. 

Reply #2
I'm not using it, but have seriously considered using it.  If you are thinking about a wiki, one or more blogs and a directory or large blogroll and think you might want to do it all in one script consider Tiki Wiki.

It is massive, so probably not for beginners, but it is a free CMS that has all of the above plus more.  If you have a c-panel hosting account it's probably a one or two button automatic install.

Reply #3
Over the years I have tried several software packages. Surprisingly Hyperseek does not seem to be available. Now I am using Directories Pro. It has all the features I need and I have had no problems with it at all

https://directoriespro.com/

@Ed I've gone through the Directories Pro website plus some third party review and documentation, plus I've seen what you have done with it, and I have to say I'm impressed.  I think I would recommend this over WSN Links (which is showing it's age).  At $39 this Wordpress plugin is a good deal.

I'm impressed because one could make this either a local business directory with maps, or a simple links directory.  Plus the admin does not look overly complicated.  This is really worth a look for anybody wanting to start a full featured directory (plus, since it's part of Wordpress you get a blog too.)

Reply #4
I've been working on redesigning and expanding a local site I launched a few years ago and recently bought Directories Pro after checking out Ed's site. It's perfect for the local business directory I'm adding to the site. So thanks Ed for sharing what you use and Brad for creating the forum here. As a result, my project is moving along nicely again (as we speak).  :)

Reply #5
Update 01/07/20: Directories Pro worked out well for me. If anyone's interested, my 'local' is at https://lakeorion.info.

Thanks again Ed.

Reply #7
Any quirks using Directories Pro?
It took some wrangling to get the navigation and usability the way I wanted but all in all, not too bad. Their documentation is pretty good and I like the configuration tools. Hating google, I went with the openstreetmaps option - works pretty well though in a few cases I had to get more precise longitude and latitude info to match an address exactly. I think there were 2 cases of that among 100+ listings. (still adding new listings daily).

One quirk worth mentioning is that entry of a business's hours is cumbersome - each day has to be entered separately using a select dropdown list. It probably needs to be like that (without bloating the app) to support the nice display feature that indicates if a business is currently open though I long for a choice in the dropdown that says, for example, 'Monday - Friday' instead of separate days only.

Another thing to be prepared for is a suite of system tools (clear cache, rebuild components, refresh taxonomy, etc.), which need to be run occasionally, especially after adding a batch of new listings.

There's some interactive bells and whistles I don't plan to use immediately so I can't comment on them just yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #8
Joe, thanks for the detailed rundown.  I've been sitting on a domain for years, wanting to do some sort of local directory myself but the timing wasn't right and the tools were not available.  But now it looks like the tools are there with Directories Pro so I might give it a shot with the inspiration provided by you and @Ed.

One of those was I didn't want to get locked into Google maps, so the Open Street Map option is a big plus. 

One thing that frustrates me is that so many small local businesses only use a Facebook page instead of having a website.  Have you encountered that and if/so are you listing the FB page or just leaving it blank?

Reply #9
It works out of the box. I spent a fair amount of time with the documentation before I went for it - my challenge was to integrate it with the other existing site content. It feels good to get back to the project. I'm hoping the directory will get people off of twitter and to the site. Fun!

One thing that frustrates me is that so many small local businesses only use a Facebook page instead of having a website.  Have you encountered that and if/so are you listing the FB page or just leaving it blank?

I've listed some businesses which have no website and you won't see their social links 'cause to me, I need to see a website so I can find their social links.  ;)  Those listings get a blank grey square in the summary listings which becomes a simple grey line in their detailed listing ( I have tricks). Linked social icons are in the detailed listings under the business's url.

I'll admit I could find out the social links to businesses without websites and treat them as 'websites' but sir, I have scruples. I'm trying to bring the web to Lake Orion after all - it wouldn't seem right to me - ha!